I have downloaded VMware Workstation 6.5 yesterday, it rocks, in fact it has more features than I thought.
One of the noticeable features is speed. Speed has been improved tremendously, huge gap comparing to the previous version.
I have been using VMware server 2 for a quite a while now, and wanted to do a quick comparison.
- Unity mode: rather than only summary, console, quick switch and full screen, there is a new one called unity, so much like the seamless mode in VirtualBox, but far more speedy and stable.
- Wide range of guest OS support.
- New GUI installer for Linux.
- New virtual network editor (works great, and more than enough).
- When you chose a CD ISO image while creating a new VM, it auto-detects the guest OS (you can change the guest later).
- Aimed at Workstation virtualization (Desktop and Laptop).
- Wider range of guest OS support.
- Great performance, in focus on networking.
- Extra flexibility on networking.
- Client-Server design, for remote administration.
- WebGUI interface runs on top of a lightweight http server.
- VMware Infrastructure like management console.
- Aimed at server virtualization.